Origin of dish:
No rating at the moment! Be the first to
Type of cooking:
Preparation time: 18 minutes
Cooking time: 75 minutes
Ingredients (for 4 people) :
- 2 rashers light bacon, choppedMethod: Dry fry the bacon for 2-3 minutes in a casserole dish, then add the lamb and cook for a 1-2 minutes before stirring in the onions and carrots.
- 850g stewing beef, cut into large chunks
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 805g butternut, peeled and sliced
- Steamed green cabbage to serve
Pour in the stock, bring to the boil then add the Worcestershire sauce, bay leave and thyme and simmer for 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 190C (375F) Gas Mark 5.
Mix the cornflour with a tbsp water then stir into the hotpot and simmer, stirring until it thickens.
Arrange the slices of butternut on top of the lamb, spooning a little of the sauce over then as you layer, and place the casserole in to the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the butternut is cooked.
Serve with steamed cabbage.