Origin of dish:
No rating at the moment! Be the first to
Type of cooking:
Preparation time: 120 minutes
Cooking time: 120 minutes
Ingredients (serves 8):
Christmas Pudding:Method: Brandy Butter:
4 oz (110 g) shredded suet
2 oz (50 g) self-raising flour
4 oz white breadcrumbs
1 tsp mixed spice
pinch ground nutneg
pinch ground cinnamon
8 oz (225 g) soft brown sugar
4 oz raisins
4 oz sultanas
10 oz (275 g)currants
1 oz (25 g) mixed candied peel, finely chopped
1 small cooking apple, cored, peeled and finealy chopped
grated zest of 1/2 orange
grated zest of 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp rum
5 fl oz (150 ml) stout
2 large eggs
brandy to light the pudding
Sprig of holly
6 tbsp brandy
6 oz (175 g)unsalted butter (at room temperature)
6 oz soft brown sugar
1)Blend the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
2)Add the brandy and mix.
3) Transfer to a dish, cove and refrigerate well.
1)In a large mixing bowl, combine the suet, flour, breadcrumbs, spices and sugar.
2) Now stir in all the fruit ingredients and mix well.
3) Into a separate bowl, pour the brandy and stout. Then beat in the eggs.
4) Pour the liquid over the mixture and mix thoroughly.
5) Cover and leave overnight.
6) Grease your pudding bowl (2 pint/ 1.2 litre) and then transfer the mixture into it, pressing it down well.
7) Cover the top with baking paper and tin foil, tying it tightly shut with kitchen string.
8) Boil for 8 hours, topping up the water from time to time.
9) Allow to cool. Replace the paper lid with a new one and store in a cool dark place.
On The Day:
1) Steam the christmas pudding for 2 1/4 hours
2) Allow to cool slightly and carefully transfer to a plate and deacorate with a sprig of holly.
3) Heat the brandy well, pour over the pudding and light.
4) Serve immediately with the chilled Brandy Butter.