Origin of dish:
No rating at the moment! Be the first to
Type of cooking:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4):
105ml sunflower oilMethod: • Heat 30ml oil in frying pan, add onion, garlic and spices and fry over a low/med heat for five minutes until golden. Using a slatted spoon, transfer to a saucepan with the chickpeas and their liquid, tomatoes and stock.
1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
10ml ground coriander (or fresh, chopped)
1 teaspoon each ground cumin, cinnamon and tumeric.
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
400g chopped tomatoes
300ml vegetable stock
1 large aubergine (around 253g), diced
225g halved button mushrooms
100g dried apricots
Salt and pepper to taste
25g flaked almonds, grilled
Chopped fresh parsley and coriander to decorate
• Heat another 45ml oil in the frying pan, add aubergine and fry, stirring, over a high heat for five minutes, until evenly browned.
• Add aubergine to chickpea mixture. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
• Heat remaining oil in frying pan and stir-fry mushrooms for four or five minutes until browned, then add to stew with roughly chopped apricots and cook for a further 10 minutes.
• Adjust seasoning to taste.
• In the meantime, steam couscous for 10 minutes or cook according to instructions. Fork through, melt butter on top for flavour, or drizzle with olive oil.
• Serve tagine on a bed of couscous, sprinkled with toasted almonds and fresh coriander.