Origin of dish:
No rating at the moment! Be the first to
Type of cooking:
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4):
100g ready-to-use chestnuts (if you opt for fresh, skin them and soak for an hour in hot water)
Method: 1. Wrap the garlic loosely in tin foil and roast in the oven (190C, gas 6) for about 30 minutes or until the garlic is soft.
350g green lentils
1 large carrot, chopped
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
1 garlic bulb, whole, leave unskinned
1 tbsp paprika
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2. Place all the ingredients, except the olive oil, into a large saucepan with a litre of water.
3. Bring slowly to the boil, then turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 40-50 minutes.
4. Stir to avoid sticking, and add more water if the mixture looks too dry. The lentils should end up soft and oozing into the liquid.
5. Finally, squeeze the flesh of the roasted garlic in to the stew, add the olive oil and stir gently to blend the flavours.
6. Taste and season, then ladle into bowls to serve.