Origin of dish:
Type of cooking:
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6):
1 jointed chicken
Method: 1. Roll each piece of chicken in flour.
1/3 glass cognac
1 1/2 glasses dry white wine
1 tbsp paprika
5 heaped tbsp crème fraîche
140g grated cheese
1 tbsp strong mustard
2 tbsp breadcrumbs
2 tbsp peanut/groundnut oil
2 pinch caster sugar
Salt & pepper
2. Sauté until golden in a large pan, over a high heat.
3. Drain off any excess oil, add cognac and flambé.
4. Add paprika, white wine and sugar, then mix well and leave to reduce over a low heat for 5 -10 minutes.
5. Add crème fraîche and 100g grated cheese. Stir well, bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 12 minutes, stirring regularly.
6. Arrange chicken in a gratin dish.
7. Add mustard to sauce, whisk, then pour over chicken.
8. Mix remaining 40g cheese with breadcrumbs.
9. Sprinle breadcrumbs and cheese over dish to top.
10. Grill dish for 5 minutes to brown cheese and give a crusty topping. Serve.