Origin of dish:
No rating at the moment! Be the first to
Type of cooking:
Preparation time: 80 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Ingredients (serves 8):
For the log:
Method: - Whisk eggs and sugar together until quite stiff, starting slowly and building up speed - it will be ready when you can make a ribbon of cream round the whisk without it dissolving.
- 4 eggs
- 70g skimmed milk powder
- 15g cocoa powder
For the chocolate filling:
- 1/2l semi-skimmed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 15g sugar
- 10g corn flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 3 sheets gelatine
Syrup for cake:
- 20ml water
- 25g sugar
- Zest of one organic orange
- Juice and zest of four large oranges
- Small bunch of redcurrants
- Grated/desiccated coconut
- A few leaves fresh mint
- Two sheets of greaseproof paper
- Mix milk and cocoa powder together and add to mixture.
- On a sheet of 30cmx40cm greaseproof paper, spread mixture out with a spatula to 0.5cm thickness, so you have two strips of of 15cmx40cm. This will make two logs for 4 people.
- Bake sponge at 220°c (425°F) for 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool.
For chocolate filling:
- Soak gelatine in cold water.
- Gently boil milk in a pan.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl until stiff and white. Add corn flour and cocoa powder.
- Pour in hot milk and gently bring whole mixture to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Add gelatine once mixture has boiled, mix well together.
- Pour into a bowl and leave in a cool place until needed, stirring from time to time to prevent a skin forming.
- Cut orange zest into long strips and put in a pan of water, with sugar.
- Bring to the boil.
- Leav to cool.
- Keep by until needed.
Tip: Remove zest and dry for 15 to 20 minutes in a low oven, then use to decorate.
For orange sauce:
- Reduce orange juice over a high heat, until you have a syrupy consistency.
To make log:
- Spread out a sheet of greaseproof paper.
- Place one 15cmx40cm strip of cake on paper.
- Spread orange syrup over cake, using a knife.
- Spread an even layer of chocolate filling over syrup, remembering to keep half back for second log.
- Carefully roll cake up lengthways, to make log, using greaseproof paper.
- Slice into four individual logs if you wish.
- Repeat with second strip of cake.
- Spread a little remaining chocolate cream on top of log, sprinkle with coconut.
- Put a log in centre of each plate, if serving individually.
- Decorate with dried orange zest, redcurrants and mint leaves.
- Drizzle with orange sauce.