Origin of dish:
No rating at the moment! Be the first to
Type of cooking:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes
Ingredients (for 2 people) :
- 12 large prawns (shelled but tail on)Method: Start the salad by marinating the prawns. Mix the oyster sauce, garlic and half the palm sugar in a bowl and mix in the prawns. Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least a couple of hours.
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1/2 head white cabbage
- 1/2 cucumber,cut lengthways with seeds scraped out
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- 50ml nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- 3 tbsps palm sugar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 5ml oyster sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or very finely chopped
For the peanut dressing:
- 50ml coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 2 tbsps creamy peanut butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 4 tbsps water
- Handful roasted peanuts, roughly grated
- Few twists of black pepper
Put all of the peanut dressing ingredients (except the peanuts) into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over a low heat while stirring. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes over a low heat. Allow the sauce cool down to room temperature.
Shred the cabbage and carrot and grate the onion and cucumber. Mix together the fish sauce, remaining palm sugar and lime juice and stir into the chopped vegetables.
Finely slice the red chilli and add to the vegetables. Roughly chop the fresh coriander and mix through the vegetables, but leave some whole leaves aside to garnish.
To cook the prawns, heat a griddle pan and brush lightly with vegetable oil. When hot, place the prawns on the griddle and cook for about 90 seconds each side, until cooked though.
To assemble the salad, arrange the prawns on the mixed vegetables, drizzle over the peanut dressing and scatter the whole coriander leaves and the peanuts over the top.