Origin of dish:
No rating at the moment! Be the first to
Type of cooking:
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4):
2 whole cardamom pods
Method: 1. Gently grind the cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar.
¼ tsp crushed chillies
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp sea salt
5 shallots, finely diced
2 stems of lemon grass, tough outer leaves removed, and then finely diced
1 tsp turmeric
200ml (7fl oz) coconut cream
4 whole mackerel, cleaned
2. Add the crushed chillies, ground ginger and salt and grind together.
3. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the shallots, lemon grass and turmeric.
4. Cut the limes in half and scoop out the flesh. Dice the flesh and add to the bowl.
5. Stir in the coconut cream and mix together.
6. Cut 3 diagonal slits in each side of the mackerel down to the bone to allow the marinade to penetrate right into the center.
7. Add the mackerel and coat evenly with the marinade.
8. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to marinade.
9. Pre-heat the grill to hot and grill the mackerel for 4-5 minutes on each side, basting frequently, until browned and cooked through.
10. Serve immediately with lime wedges.