Origin of dish:
Suitable for children
Type of cooking:
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4):
350g self-raising flour , plus more for dusting
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
85g butter , cut into cubes
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
squeeze lemon juice (optional)
beaten egg , to glaze
jam and clotted cream , to serve
1. Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
2. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder in to a large bowl and mix.
3. Rub in the butter with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs then add the sugar and stir.
4. Heat the milk in the microwave for approx. 30 secs until warm, but not hot.
5. OPTIONAL: Add the vanilla and lemon juice, then set aside for a moment.
6. Put a baking sheet in the oven.
7. Make a well in the dry ingredients, then add the liquid and bring it together with a knife.
(Alternatively you can just put all the ingredients in a food processor and whizz)
8. Dust your work surface with flour and tip the dough out.
9. Dust the dough with a little more flour, then lightly knead the dough folding 2 to 3 times until it appears smoother.
10. Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough until it's about 4cm deep.
11. Using 5cm cutter cut out four scones. Bring the dough back together, roll it out again and repeat.
12. Brush the tops with beaten egg, then carefully place onto the hot baking tray.
13. Bake for 10 mins until risen and golden on the top.
14. Eat just warm or cold on the day of baking, generously topped with jam and clotted cream.