Origin of dish:
No rating at the moment! Be the first to
Type of cooking:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4):
12 large king scallops (roe off) –3 per person
Method: How to make:
100g white crab meat
2cm piece of fresh ginger peeled
1 clove of garlic - peeled
1 tbs each of finely chopped fres coriander, mint, basil
1 red chilli, deseeded
2 eggs whites
zest of 1 lime
150g fresh breadcrumbs
4 tbs of olive oil
For the hot and sweet sauce
250mls white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic peeled
2 cm piece of fresh ginger peeled
1 red chilli
zest of 1 lime
1. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Peel potatoes and cut into even pieces. Place in the boiling water and cook until soft ( approximately 10/12 minutes, test with a sharp knife, if goes through easily, they are ready).
Drain potatoes in a colander, place in a large bowl and roughly mash.
2. Finely chop the fresh ginger, red chilli and garlic. Stir in to the mashed potatoes. Also add the finely chopped fresh coriander, mint & basil, zest of the lime, a pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Finally add the crab meat. Mix together by hand.
3. Whisk the egg whites until fluffy and fold into the mix, this adds moisture and helps to bind everything together.
4.On a work surface, roll out a length of cling film, place the mixture in the centre and roll into a sausage shape. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes. This enables the ingredients to hold together during the cooking process.
5. After 30 minutes take out of the fridge, unwrap the cling film and slice into about 2cm thick disks and lightly coat with breadcrumbs. Heat a large non-stick skillet over a medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil ,cook the crab cakes for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
1. Pat the scallops dry with kitchen paper. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a non stick frying pan, add 75g of butter and stir until foaming.
2. Add the scallops to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, turning once until lightly golden on both sides and tender to touch.
Hot and sweet syrup:
1. Roughly chop the garlic, ginger and chilli. Put all ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil for 8-10 minutes until slightly sticky.
2. Place in a liquidizer and blend. Strain.
The sauce can be made in advance ready to serve once crab cakes and scallops are cooked.
Place the cooked scallops on the 2 crab cakes and drizzle over the sauce, garnish with flat leaf parsley.